It’s not a secret that language a complex and interesting aspect of our lives. There are over 7,000 languages in the world today. Translation services are quite important to break the language barrier. Read on for interesting facts about translation.
- Translation is derived from Latin word ‘translationis’ which means ‘transporting or transferring something’. And here in Braille translation services, it implies transferring from one language to another.
- Bible is considered to be the most translated book. Some parts of this book have been translated into Klingon! However, ‘Listen to God and Live Forever’ has been translated into more than 600 languages. Also, United Nation’s Universal Declaration of Human Rights has been translated into over 400 languages. And interestingly, Modern favorite Harry Potter has been translated into more than 70 languages.
Translation is the most important field of study and profession. Each year the wonderful world of translation is celebrated on 30th September on International Translation Day. Read more about this day and how translators worldwide remember our Patron saint, Saint Jerome in this blog post.
- The chosen translation languages are French, Spanish, German and Japanese. English, French, German, Italian and Russian are the most targeted translation languages.
- Braille is also an important way to translate any language for blind and visually disabled people. There is a Braille Code for almost every foreign language you can imagine! Even math, computer science, and music all have their own unique Braille systems.
- Braille was an intelligent handicap child who attended the Royal Institute for Blind Youth. Braille was introduced a method of communication without light or sound and was very eager to learn it. He spent his spare time trying to improve the new way of reading & writing and designed six dots in which combinations of dots and spaces represented letters, numbers and punctuation marks. The Braille system allows blind people to read with their fingers using a system of raised dots. Braille is based on a basic unit of code known as a cell.
- UNESCO has an online database named ‘Index Translationum’. This database will show a list of all the books translated all over the world. Agatha Christie (7233 translations), Jules Verne (4751 translations) and William Shakespeare (4293 translations) are the top 3 most translated authors according to recent translation statistics.
- According to recent studies, there are over 330,000 professional translators worldwide.
- The English language has more than 250,000 words. So, it is important to know maximum world while translating into or out of English! And an average person knows around just 10-20,000 words.
- A professional translator can translate around 250 words within an hour. A translator working full time can translate around 520,000 words per year.
- Language is considered to be about 200,000 years old with the advancement in technology, translation has become more modern.
- According to the most professional translators, Spanish is the easiest language to translate.
- During the first decade of the 21st century, Over 75% of books between the years 2000 and 2010 were translated into French or German and just 5% into Chinese.
- The punctuation marks in Arabic and English are just same, however both the languages are different.
Translations are everywhere. Braille Translators help visually impaired individuals to understand the world. The above interesting and amazing facts will help you know and understand the translation services for almost all exotic languages.